High:
Low:
Wind:
Chance of precipitation:

Forecast

close
Saturday, July 4 Police Reports

New Milford email hacking case pushed to August

TORRINGTON — The disposition hearing of the former New Milford information technology director accused of hacking town officials’ emails has been pushed from July 24 to Aug. 28.

Kendrick Protzmann, 52, is facing eight counts of third-degree computer crime and 41 counts of fifth-degree computer crime for allegedly accessing the town’s email archive system without authorization between June 10 and Sept. 9, 2019, when he was no longer a town employee.

Protzmann was placed on paid administrative leave until Sept. 3, according to police. His access into the email archive system should have been revoked, but police said that didn’t appear to happen.

After discovering unauthorized access had been gained into the email server, New Milford officials contacted police and an investigation was launched Oct. 4.

The gains of unauthorized access were traced back to Protzmann, who admitted to accessing the email server “to feed his curiosity habit,” police said.

Protzmann allegedly downloaded 35 emails to and from high-ranking officials in town, including Mayor Pete Bass and Personnel Director Greg Bollaro.

Protzmann is being represented at state Superior Court in Torrington by New Haven-based attorney William F. Dow.

Kendra Baker|General Assignment Reporter

loading